Image Map

Monday, August 3, 2015

Monday Made It!

It's AUGUST. WHAT? How did this happen? I will chalk this mighty short summer up to all of Chicago's temper tantrums last winter causing us to pile on the cold days and stay in school until mid June. Then there is this whole "sure Jess, go ahead and get a new job while you are still in grad school, and ya know are the MOH in your best friend's wedding this fall." When it comes to stress; go big or go home - am I right? Anyways, coffee will get me through, he's the real champ here.

I would also like to introduce you to the MVP's of my teacher life (next to coffee) - they are essential to my Monday Made It creations!

Ok, ok, ok. Monday Made It! In my new LRC teacher position I will have three lovely ladies who I will work beside in the library - two of them technology experts, and one library expert. I already know they will be constant lifesavers! We rearranged the library to have a "Genius Bar" area that will host my three awesome pals (I will post pics of the final rearrange when it's all done!) and who can have a Genius Bar without fantastic nameplates to identify the Geniuses - duh!
I ordered acrylic name plates from Etsy - they are about 2 inches tall and 10 long. Super great quality! I designed a simple polka dot pattern on my computer (MVP #2) and cut colored vinyl with my Silhouette Cameo (MVP #1). I layered the colored dots on the back of the nameplate - then cut their names with black vinyl and laid those on the front side. By using the front and back, they look very multi-dimensional and the names are nice and flat on the acrylic. I LOVE how they turned out :)



Earlier this summer, with my previous 6th graders in mind with their Genius Hour projects, I created a "Self Sufficient Learners" poster set to display in my LRC's Makerspace. Those got printed and laminated with my trusty third MVP (3). This laminating machine was one of the BEST purchases I have made as a teacher. It laminates so much thicker than the one at school and the quality is unmatched! 


Finally, this chick has 10, I repeat, TEN bulletin boards to take on. My LRC is located at the heart of our school and the hallways surround it. I personally love doing bulletin boards (let's see how I feel after 10). I really believe that they are such a valuable space. With the right colors and content they can be useful and REALLY brighten up the space. With 5 on each side, one will host cool colors and one will host warm. These beautiful solids were on sale at Joann Fabrics for $2.49 - thank the heavens for that one. 


Let the ironing begin :)


4 comments:

  1. I love all the colors that you're bringing in to your new workspace. Color = happy for me, and it sounds like you, too.
    Good luck with your new adventure!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nameplates for your Genius Bar buddies are adorable and so sweet! Love all the bright colors you are using!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nameplates for your Genius Bar buddies are absolutely amazing!! I want one for myself!!! Do you totally recommend the Silhouette Cameo machine?! I am debating....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your name plates! I have a cricut, but I am horrible at applying vinyl!

    ReplyDelete